Spring has sprung and travelling season is officially upon us! It isn’t a coincidence that April is Car Care Month either. It is so important to make sure your vehicle is in top condition before you venture out on a long road trip. Winters can be hard on vehicles; the inevitable road grit, the wear and tear on rubber hoses and even the wear and tear on the battery. All of these things make April the perfect month to do a little preventative maintenance and inspect your vehicle’s components.
One of the best things about a road trip is to enjoy the ride; roll down those windows, crank up the tunes and enjoy the open road. The last thing you want to do is get out on the highway and break down. This can usually be avoided by doing just a few preventative maintenance checks before you get going. Our website has a more complete list of what maintenance is recommended however we thought we would give you a quick overview on what needs to be done before hitting the open road.
- Check and adjust your tire pressure and don’t forget about the spare, if it isn’t properly inflated, it could make a bad situation worse
- Check your tread on the tires, the last thing you want to do is have a blowout
- Check your vehicle’s fluids … oil, brake, transmission and coolant
- Have your oil changed before you leave; long trips can put additional stress on your motor.
- Check your oil and air filters and replace as needed, they will ensure your engine runs at peak performance
- Inspect your battery for any loose connections and make sure it is clean, tight and corrosion free.
- Do a quick check to make sure all your lights and blinkers are working and replace any dead bulbs or fuses.
- Stock your vehicle with an emergency kit. At the very least a spare tire, flashlight, medical kit, and an up to date map.
It might seem simple but a car wash will ensure you can see everything clearly.
We love to travel as much as you do and know that getting to your destination safe and sound is the goal. Don’t gamble with your safety, if you aren’t comfortable checking your vehicle out, take it in to an auto repair shop and they can run it through a complete safety checklist and make any necessary repairs to prevent you from having to deal with a break down on the way to your destination. Happy travelling!